[TriLUG] Eat and geek followup - Part 1

Ralph A Castanza rcastanza at nc.rr.com
Sun May 12 10:30:58 EDT 2002

As a newer TriLUG member I just wanted to say that the installfest was
great.  I got the chance to meet some new people and get insight into more
things
going on in the linux world.  I had a thought amongst all the email and
after going to the UNC auction.....  Maybe we could target a specific
school, have an
installfest with older equipment that people would be able to donate, then
set up a private linux network for that school.  It would create awareness
and allow
students to 'play' without too much worry of breaking anything.  We could
even set up a 'server' with DHCP, a couple other supporting machines, then
have a couple
more machines meant for multiple re-installs so students can get
comfortable with the OS(we'd have to decide on a standard of Linux to make
things a little less confusing
of course)....

Does anyone know of a local school, university, etc. who would be
interested in receiving such a collection of hardware?  Are there any
'geek' teachers out there who
would maybe want to add some linux instruction into their curriculum?  It
is just a thought but with all the extra 'old' hardware out there it would
be a good way to teach,
demonstrate that hardware has more longevity than most people are lead to
believe, and give a good excuse to get together.

...just my thoughts.

Take care,

Ralph Castanza