[TriLUG] Eat and geek followup - Part 1

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Sat May 11 23:37:13 EDT 2002

A Diumenge 12 Maig 2002 10:30 am, Ralph A Castanza va escriure:
> As a newer TriLUG member I just wanted to say that the installfest
> was great.  I got the chance to meet some new people and get insight
> into more things
> going on in the linux world.  I had a thought amongst all the email
> and after going to the UNC auction.....  Maybe we could target a
> specific school, have an
> installfest with older equipment that people would be able to donate,
> then set up a private linux network for that school.  It would create
> awareness and allow
> students to 'play' without too much worry of breaking anything.  We
> could even set up a 'server' with DHCP, a couple other supporting
> machines, then have a couple
> more machines meant for multiple re-installs so students can get
> comfortable with the OS(we'd have to decide on a standard of Linux to
> make things a little less confusing
> of course)....

I guess that y'all kow about Red Hat's initiative in this area:

[1] http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2002/press_education2.html

So we have Red Hat willing to help schools [1]. We have a LUG[2] (the
best lug, with the best people btw) ready to help. We have the
expertise of Installfests and the networking of a school last year[3].
We have also the K12-LTSP[4] (Linux Terminal Server Project aimed for
schools). We have the experience of Portland's LUG [5] in hwlping
schools. We have the bad publicity [6] of a company in the NorthWest
that is trying to choke schools trough abusive licenses practices, we
have schools ready to consider Microsoft software as a liability
instead of an asset[7].

What can we do? How can we help?

[2] http://www.trilug.org
[3] CPCHS
[4] http://k12ltsp.org/
[5] http://www.pdxlinux.org/
[6]
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/all_wire_stories/101386428029222529.xml
[7] http://www.seul.org/edu/acpe2002.html

> Does anyone know of a local school, university, etc. who would be
> interested in receiving such a collection of hardware?  Are there any
> 'geek' teachers out there who
> would maybe want to add some linux instruction into their curriculum?
>  It is just a thought but with all the extra 'old' hardware out there
> it would be a good way to teach,
> demonstrate that hardware has more longevity than most people are
> lead to believe, and give a good excuse to get together.
>
> ..just my thoughts.
>
> Take care,
>
> Ralph Castanza

Just my 2 cents

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.2 - Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Linux Machine # 38068