Fall Installfest (was Re: [TriLUG] Eat and geek followup - Part 1)

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sun May 12 18:36:43 EDT 2002

On Sunday, May 12 2002, John Franklin said:
> On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 10:55:29AM -0700, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > The installfests of the LUG at NCSU at the beginnings of semesters are
> > usually pretty packed just for this reason.  Based on anecdotal
> > evidence, it's best to wait until a couple of weeks into the semester so
> > that people have some idea of what they need for classes and the like as
> > well.  Of course, coordinating so that the LUG at NCSU and trilug
> > installfests aren't at the same time is probably a good thing too :-)
>
> If it's as full as you say, it may be worth while to have a joint
> installfest with more hardware, OS options and activities, or have two
> installfests at two locations, jointly advertised so people can go to
> the location closest to them.

Ah, but the problem is that you then split your volunteer resources.
And if you pick a weekend that's bad for someone, they're up a creek.
So, if you spread across a couple of weekends, it's probably better IMHO

> I'm assuming there's a UNC LUG and that if we did this, they'd want to
> be part of it as well.  Not to mention Duke's LUG.  Are there any others
> in the area?  Is there an inter-LUG umbrella organization or mailing
> list?

There were efforts underway to start a LUG at UNC at one point, but I
never really heard anything more about it.  There's no real organization
between the groups, but there are a few of us at least that connect them
all informally.

Jeremy