[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.2 now available locally at Best Buy!!

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue May 14 02:23:41 EDT 2002

Yes, the CD-ROM drives seem to be working fine in Linux. I should have added
that the hard drives are mounted in their own case with TWO fans built in
the front and rear in the removable case (this is not counting the fans in
the big case for the power supply) which probably keeps my hard drives
cooler than those in just about anyone's computer. I know that they are
never hot when I take them out, just very slightly warm.
     I suppose it's possible something could have happened to my Linux
drive, but I've been using it like this for some time now. I guess you're
probably guessing that I'm having a problem with either my CD drive or the
hard drive. The hard drive is 20 gigs in size and is actually fairly new. I
do have another which I can substitute for it just to see if the problem can
be isolated to the hard drive. (Which I will try)
     Just very, very strange indeed, especially since this hard drive isn't
very old at all. The drive doesn't actually seem dead, because it does go
through a littlbe bit of the installation process without a problem, at
least in text mode, until it hits a particular point. In graphical mode I
just get the "OUT OF RANGE" error on the screen which doesn't tell me WHAT
is "OUT OF RANGE".
    Is there anyway to retrieve the installation log off this hard drive??
If it had a system on it it would be relatively easy.

Does anyone know where Mandrake and Red Hat puts this installation log and
what the name of it is?? Can it be read using DOS programs like text
editors?? I suspect not, since we're talking about another different file
system. Finally, can you further explain this suggestion:

"Try going to the virtual consoles available through ctr-alt-F1 to F6." What
I don't understand is how this will work if there is no longer a Linux OS on
the drive??

    Anyway thanks for your suggestions "Sinner" (sorry I don't know your
real name, maybe you can introduce yourself to me at the next Tri-Lug
meeting. Had a doctor's appt. on the day of the installfest. Really sorry I
had to miss it.---Al Johnson.