[TriLUG] URPMI and Emacs

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue May 14 14:37:47 EDT 2002

On 14 May 2002, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 14:20, John F Davis wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > Yeah, i was confused by the original post as well.  What's the problem?
> > Also, what is urpmi?
>
> Urpmi is basically the Mandrake developed version of apt-get.
> It installs an rpm file and, if needed, also installs all the
> dependencies (if necessary, retrieving them from remote repositories).
> It will also do the same thing for removing packages.

Question about removing packages: Will urpmi look at the dependencies, and
if they're not being used by other packages, remove the dependencies too?
(I don't think there's an option for standard rpm for this, although
*shudder* the standard Windows uninstaller can do this.)  Can debian do
this somehow?

--Jeremy, used to the apt- and urpm-less world of Red Hat Linux.