[TriLUG] Another Installfest?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue May 14 15:52:56 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 15:37, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> What a mess that I have made!
>
> I didn't explicitely said so, but I meant so. Whoever knows me can tell you
> that I do not discriminate or anything like that.
>
> I guess I don't really get the tensions that those topics arise in the USA. I
> never meant an installfest *only* for Asian people.
>
> I ask for public excuses if someone felt insulted / injuried in any way.
>
> If that was what you understood by reading my message, is my fault for not
> being more clear. And for not being 100% proficient in English (no, babelfish
> does not help.)
>
> Let me try to put it in another words:
>
> Liyuan asked me if Trilug would help in an Installfest where he can bring many
> friends to Linux. Such Installfest will be open to everyone, even to
> big'n'bearded, green-eyed, bike-riding white folks. Well, open to anyone that
> shows up with a computer. Anyone means anyone. Yes, even MSCE could attend.

Josep,

I didn't get the same idea that Kevin did from your previous post.
I took it for a given that anyone would be allowed to come to an
installfest (I wouldn't support it otherwise).  So, don't feel
too bad.  Kevin just misunderstood.  It's quite unfortunate that
there still is enough whatever in the world that people can still
jump to this conclusion. (And that is not meant to say anything
about Kevin, but rather the state of the world today.)

I, for one, very much like that you can take linux and customize
it to your heart's content.  If you want it in Chinese, you can
create a chinese version without having to wait for a certain
big company up northwest to do it for you.  This also means, though,
that if you want to create a nazi skinhead version of linux you
can.  That's ok, just don't ask me to ever look at it.  This is
the very basis of the freedom Stallman keeps preaching about,
and love him or hate him, you've got to admit we'd all be worse off
without it.

I do, however, think the guy that wanted to make a "christian"
version of linux by replacing all the daemons with angels was
a bit looney. :-)

Anyway, Josep, don't sweat it.  I knew what you meant, and
now everyone else does too.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/