[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

jeffj at ro.com jeffj at ro.com
Thu May 16 02:14:27 EDT 2002

"Lisa C. Boyd" <lcboyd at nc.rr.com> said the following on the auspicious date of 2002-05-15:

>The recent thread has been quite interesting to this newbie :)

>I wanted to offer up an idea for a seminar/talk for people who have no
>clue  about what Linux is or what it can do.

[snip for brevity]

>If you have speakers who demystify Linux and make people feel
>comfortable,  then you hit them with signing up for an Installfest. It
>would be a great  way to get rid of those basic questions that everyone
>has (like how many  CDs do I need to bring? do I need to bring a monitor?
>etc) and let the  people see a helpful, friendly TriLUG.

I can ofter something here that might be useful. I could, with the help of others, make a video that attempts to meet some of these goals. This would make it easier to distribute the contents of a seminar without always requiring certain people to show up and it could be played back by someone whenever they have the time. It isn't a replacement for an in-person seminar, but it may make a nice supplement.

The video can be digitally recorded then edited, modified, and everything else in Linux  :-)  It could be distributed on VCD and DVD (this does require Windows), maybe even with a Linux distribution on the same disk. I've gone through this process, minus preparing a Linux distribution, several times already to make DVDs. I'm presently working on a Mystery Science Theater 3000 style riff of an old short film, complete with chromakey, just to give you a rough idea of what can be done.

If this sounds like a good project, then don't start working on it yet. First, do a couple seminars and takes notes on how it goes, get feedback from the participants, and refine what needs to be conveyed and how. There is a fair amount of work to do before that can even be done, but I thought I'd get people thinking about other possibilities.

MS Windows -- An entomologist's dream

Jeff Jackowski      http://ro.com/~jeffj/
"Luncheon meats make the sawdust in your stomach
 explode."          -- Crow T. Robot