[TriLUG] opera 6 for linux

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Thu May 16 08:26:44 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 07:54, John F Davis wrote:
> I just read on Slashdot that Opera 6.0 for linux is out.  I've been using
> Opera for sometime and I like it alot.  If you haven't tried it, you
> should.

Opera is very fast and comes in a very small package. The interface,
IMO, is an acquired taste, so people should try it and decide how they
like it. The easy access to browser identification is a feature I'd like
to see added to Mozilla.

However, my main complaint with Opera is that their support of W3C
standards lags behind Mozilla. Just try using the DOM1 (much less DOM2)
with Opera and you'll see what I'm talking about. This alone is enough
for someone like me leave Opera to others.

Just check out this card game I "ported" from a version I have on my
Visor:
http://www.math.duke.edu/~jvmatthe/picframe/picframe.html
This works just great in Mozilla, but Opera doesn't do anything with it.
Same for IE of any flavor.

(Note: The game currently looks best at a large resolution. Use Ctrl-(+)
and Ctrl-(-) to adjust the font to look best on your screen. This will
be "fixed" in a future revision. Oh, and yes, I know the code is ugly.
It works. :^)

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\