[TriLUG] rsh protocol specs?

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Thu May 16 12:45:21 EDT 2002

On Thursday, May 16 2002, Thunder Bear said:
> Not only is it evil, but it is going away.  OpenBSD is the first major
> OS I know of that is aggressively phasing it out.  While OpenBSD tends
> to be at the more secure end of the spectrum, they are proving that it
> can be done without the internet collapsing upon itself.  I expect some
> of the Linux distros to follow in time.
>
> That said, if one is going to make the effort of writing a new program
> today that would normally use rsh, it might be a net gain to just bite
> the bullet and use ssh from the getgo so it doesn't have to be re-tooled
> in two or three years.

Unfortunately, ssh has a significantly higher setup/tear down cost for
each connection as well as data transfer overhead when using any
encryption cipher.  openssh didn't actually allow the use of the 'none'
cipher the last time I checked, so you're paying a non-trivial cost
there.

So, there are applications where the use of rsh is still warranted.

Cheers,

Jeremy