[TriLUG] partitioning: primary or logical

M. Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Thu May 16 13:00:58 EDT 2002

On Thursday 16 May 2002 12:27 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 11:55, Jeremy P wrote:
> > The only restriction is that the /boot partition, if you're booting off
> > the hard drive, be within the first 1024 cylinders.  (This is the whole
> > reason for creating a boot aprtition, instead of just having the kernel
> > boot off /).  I'm not sure that modern BIOSes even have this restriction
> > however.
>
> Actually, I think even that restriction has been eliminated
> in grub and perhaps later versions of lilo.
>
> Tanner

Comment: I did a Debian 2.2r6 i386 install recently and the "put the /boot
partition within the first 1024 cylinders" warning appeared during the
process.

Question: Would a late model grub or lilo used with an old (can't boot from
partition above cylinder 1024) BIOS be able to boot from cylinders above 1024?

Question: When is this stuff interesting? On machines with multiple OSs?  I
always configure one-LinuxOS-only systems so I always have the luxury of
putting /boot within the first 1024 cylinders.

--
Mike Mueller
www.ss7box.com