Security and WIFI (was Re: [TriLUG] who else is experimenting with the sharp zaurus?)

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Fri May 17 12:49:43 EDT 2002

At 11:31 AM 5/17/2002, you wrote:

>;-) my wireless net doesn't really work in the front yard that well :-)

Well that's one way to keep people out :-)

>yeah all the stuff I don't do over VPN (work stuff) or SSL is generally
>ending up public anyhow.  Now if they hacked into my desktop (since they'd
>be behind my firewall) that would be a bit more interesting, but we
>generally bank on line over SSL.

>Lets talk likelyhood per amount of effort.  Its fairly unlikely I'd be a
>target due to the pure lack of gain.  General hacking over the net is
>another story because kids in Korea can do it with little chance of
>getting caught and low skill and effort so the low pay off (being
>annoying) is probably worth it.

True it may not be worth it, but if you say live in a townhouse and there
are several people around you then, maybe it is worth it to sit there and
pick up say 4 peoples identities for 1 hours worth of work.  And if these
are well todo people you could have access to some nice credit lines, and
bank accounts.

This is just in theory, and may not be a big thing now, but it is
definitely something to keep in mind in the future.  And of course this
scenario won't apply to everyone.

>Nope my cordless phones get dropped in water at least once every 2
>years.  We boiled one once..

I have found that spaghetti tastes better with tomato sauce instead of
telephones myself ;-).

>>3. That may even be enough time to break into some digital cordless
>>phones, though I'm not as well versed on that stuff.
>
>Then they'd hear me tell 1,000,000 telemarketers never to call me again.

Same here

>Now I have a better question.  How do I extend my vulnerability (my
>wireless network) further into my backyard without more wires?   I've got
>the Linksys wireless hub/cable router and it works okay but about half way
>into the back yard it quits (and its not very fast).  Is there some form
>of wireless repeater that will communicate with a base and client so that
>the signal strength is increased and extended?   :-)

I would love to know of some cheap wireless repeaters my self.  Suppose you
could do it with an old Linux laptop with two wifi cards in it (one acting
as an access point one acting as a client from the other access point), but
that wouldn't be as efficient as I would like.  Besides that, you could
build an add-on antenna for your base station to try and increase your
"vulnerability" ( ;-) ) further into your backyard.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

-David