[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Fri May 17 14:04:52 EDT 2002

On Friday, May 17 2002, Jeremy P said:
> On 17 May 2002, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > Where do you find these nuggets of information?  This is an

Hidden under rocks usually :)  I've actually known about this one for
a few years now, but my more current findings of these things tend to be
because I get spammed with build logs of every package built for Red Hat
Linux :-)

> > absolutely fabulous find.  What I want to know is why is this
> > not the default info browser on systems today?
>
> I agree... it should be the default.. I just installed it an am
> impressed... the ANSI colors really help, and the keys match lynx, and
> initutive things like arrow keys, pgup,pgdown, home, end, all work as
> you'd expect.

Mostly because info tends to imply GNU info.  I'll agree that pinfo is
much better, though, and I use emacs :).   FWIW, there's also pman for
viewing man pages and similarly lets you click the links to related
pages.

> It doesn't appear to be installed by default on RHL 7.2 or 7.1, I dunno
> about 7.3.  But I found it on the RHL 7.2 CD.

Installed in default workstation and server installs in Red Hat Linux
7.3; if you do a custom install, be sure to select the Utilities group.

Cheers,

Jeremy