Security and WIFI (was Re: [TriLUG] who else is experimenting with the sharp zaurus?)

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri May 17 22:48:32 EDT 2002

You might want to take a look at Apple's Airport and Airport cards (they
work with Macs or PCs and are completely wireless, they have a fairly good
range as well and the frequency is high enough to avoid most interference).
To increase their range all you have to do is to experiment with antenna
placement which works for any wireless system---small changes in location of
the antenna can produce large changes in signal strength, this is because
antennas interact with their surroundings in almost mysterious ways, because
of the location of metal and even some plastic materials. At the frequencies
we're discussing even the weather can be a factor. This can be done by
simple trial and error. Start by moving one antenna and see if there are
differences in the signal received by the other. Then once you've improved
that the best you can, go to the other antenna and do the same. Doing this
over and over can sometimes produce amazing differences in signal strength.