[TriLUG] Transgaming WineX question

Jonathan Rippy jonathan.rippy at interpath.net
Tue May 21 10:18:35 EDT 2002

I know some people are running WineX so I thought maybe
I'd see if anyone here can help me.

I can get Diablo 2 LoD running nicely under WineX 2.01
but only as my root user.  This leads me to believe I
have a permission problem somewhere.  I'm running the latest
version of Gentoo and I will supply some info that might be
pertinent now.  (I feel like it's a permissions problem for
my non-root user to open the CDROM device in some raw mode
for the copy protection reading that the executable wants
to perform.  I get no errors or messages when trying with
non-root user, it just sits there with no windows popping up
and no messages forever.  Like I said, it works perfectly
with my root user though.)

INFO:

[From /etc/fstab]
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660  noauto,ro,user,exec  0 0

ls -laF /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 Dec 31  1969 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -> ../ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

ls -laF /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
brw-------    1 myuser cdrom     22,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

I can't think of any more info to provide right now.

Anyone have any ideas?  (I dislike running winex as root as you
might imagine)

--
jonathan rippy