DocBook (was Re: [TriLUG] Linux for Newbies)

M. Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Tue May 21 18:00:37 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 05:37 pm, you wrote:
> On 21 May 2002, Thunder Bear wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 17:12, Mark Johnson wrote:
> > > I can offer to help setup a DocBook XML-based system for tagging the
> > > docs and generating output docs (website, html, pdf, ...).
>
> very likely, the best site for those who wanted to get started on
> docbook/xml is tim waugh's site, people.redhat.com/twaugh.
>
> The link "DocBook bits" shows how to get this running under Red Hat 7.3,
> while he has an example document (the SelfDocBook XML edition) that
> shows how this all works.

The link to the O'Reilly book did not work for me.  Here's one that did.

http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/documentation/reference/html/docbook.html

Is there an equivalent to "hello world" for DocBook?  Having to amass 5-6
tools and use a non-trivial makefile to create a document from a document
about a document is not for the faint of heart or over-committed or
disorganized (here, here, and here).  Maybe there's just no way to make it
simple?

--
Mike Mueller
www.ss7box.com