[TriLUG] Re: Michael Helms

Jturena at aol.com Jturena at aol.com
Wed May 22 21:03:48 EDT 2002

Michael,  [Sorry about the way this was posted]
 I found your story about PHP/MySQL/Apache/and Linux, a little more than just
coincidental with my similar story: I "discovered" Linux, Apache, MySQL, and
then PHP all in a matter of  months during 2001. It all seemed like a godsend
to me because I was interested in building one particular website, and not
having ever developed anything before, I was learning "on my own"
sort-of-speak, from scratch. To top it off, owning a computer and learning
about software was new to me too.
 I had it all running on my machine last fall, and I had worked my way up to
developing a PHP script for displaying, a "Names and Address" List that was a
part of the Website I was trying to develop.
 Then my computer broke down. (I was not prepared for that at all).
 Now I am just now getting up the nerve to try and delve into MySQL and PHP
and website development again.
 But something is not right with my machine, so I have some trepidation.
 I am proceding very slowly. So far I have MySQL running.
 This time around I am trying to setup and understand who owns what and "who"
is running what on my machine,  because I want to be able to practice backing
up my database and writing files and scripts for manipulating all of the
things I will need to manipulate when I put the website together.
 Anyway, I would like to keep up with what you are doing, and try to follow
any information you might be sharing with others regarding PHP and MySQL and
web development, so please respond to this email, or let me know where you
might be going to discuss and post any notes about this stuff.
time I have tried something like that, so I may not be able to figure out how
to use the feature(?). We'll see.
 If I can help you in any way about PHP or MySQL, please let me know.
 Almost forgot to mention--- this is all not work-related for me--I am in the
home-repair/remodeling business (for now).
 So I won't be going full-fledged at it every day of the week.
Welcome to NC!
Jim U.