[TriLUG] scripts

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu May 23 14:43:38 EDT 2002

Yes, indeed, SAMS books are much better for beginners than the O'Reilley
books. Some of them are very pictorial and give pictures of the desktop and
literally tell you what you should enter at each step in a process. This is
far superior to beginners than just printed info on a page (as a former
professional writer I can't believe I just said that :-). Actually I think
the absolute best way for a beginner to learn a new O.S. is by using a CD
which is inserted into the computer and autoruns. This is better than any
book you can name because everything is done on your computer without having
to first look at the book and then go to the computer than back to the book
then back to the computer, etc. etc.
      I just wish the guy who makes these disks for the Microsoft systems
would do the same for Linux (you may have seen him on TV commercials
recently). Perhaps Tri-lug should consider this approach rather than
producing a lot of  written material on the web or paper. It would vastly
simplify the reproduction process (you just copy the CD), and would make
Linux incredibly simple to use for everyone. Sooner or later SOMEONE will do
this, why not us??
Al Johnson.