[TriLUG] FreeBSD

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu May 23 15:14:24 EDT 2002

The problem is that this isn't the first or even the second time that
someone has attempted to direct the group to some location without giving
some directions. As far as searching first is concerned, that would work if
at least a hint is given of its general location. Greenshields could be in
Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Fuquay-Varina or in Johnston
County, or even Lee County. Even now I still don't know where in downtown
Raleigh this place is located. There are a large number of places in
downtown Raleigh where meetings can be held. Is it a neighborhood?, a
restaurant?, some sort of business establishment?, a library? No one knows.
What street is it on? and what well-known streets would direct someone to
it.
    Finally, I did not use ALL CAPITALS!! (Since when I started using
computer there were no lower case letters on the keyboard, I'm always amused
when someone claims that using all caps means someone is shouting. What
capitals mean is what the person intended. I realize I cannot yell online,
so let everyone be forewarned, I USE CAPITALS TO INDICATE  TEXT I WOULD
ORDINARILY UNDERLINE OR ITALICIZE FOR EMPHASIS. It is a habit from my
professional writing days before the age of wordprocessors.) Thus, I merely
capitalize the most important point of my message. If you consider it
shouting, that is your problem, not mine.

     It is always amazing to me that people just assume that others will be
able to find on their own very small places in the Triangle area. "Downtown
Raleigh" is also a very imprecise location, you might as well say "downtown
New York" or "downtown Charlotte". What are we doing playing a child's
guessing game now?? "Well son it's in downtown Raleigh". What's your next
guess, is it North or South of the Capital?? And what exactly does
"downtown" mean?? How large is that area??

     Please let's have some consideration for people who don't have time to
go searching (many times fruitlessly) for some small, not well-known
location. Be courteous give people some simple directions to the location.
Tell how you get there, and then others can use your directions to figure
out how they can get there.