[TriLUG] Have I been compromised?

lfwelty lfwelty at redback.com
Thu May 23 15:30:03 EDT 2002

Ed Hill wrote:

<cut>
> And as a counter to Tanner's paranoia, let me offer some data points.  I
> have more than a half-dozen mostly default Red Hat Linux boxes plugged
> in to two *campus* (notorious for frequent break-ins) networks even as I
> type this email.  They are a mix of RH 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3.  I had *one*
> break-in problem back with the RH 6.x series when, by default, all sorts
> of services were turned on and there was no (default) firewall.
<cut>

And as a further anecdotal datapoint. I started logging attempts on
my cable modem network - I'm hit about 10 times/day.... How many of
these are real attacks and how many are simply port scans? Dunno.
AFAIK I haven't been hacked. I check my logs routinely and actualy
tail -f some of them.

I thought that I had been hacked once, but it was portsentry openning
everything up on my box...:*(  Scared the hell out of me tho.  The
risk assessment is a good point to be considered. Evaluate what could
be taken should someone gain access.

Another point to consider (as it was prevented to me). I don't have
to run faster than the lion, I just have to run faster than you...;)
No system is completely secure, you just want to make yours an
unattractive target.

> So back to the original point:
>
>   - you don't really know if you've been hacked unless you are
>     running something like Tripwire or similar or if you manage
>     to find some actual evidence
>
>   - you can use the RPM database as a quick check (if you trust
>     it) to see what files have been modified:
>
>       rpm -qa | xargs rpm -V
>
>     This is very helpful for locating "root kits" that install
>     modified versions of common commands like ls, ps, etc.

Triggered memory.

Check Root Kit:
http://www.chkrootkit.org/

This is pretty good. But still, you have to evaluate the system
as a whole. And you cannot trust any individual tool to give you
the complete truth. Remember that your tools can be lying to you
if they've been compromised.

F.