[TriLUG] FreeBSD: An Exercise in Pain

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Fri May 24 21:37:48 EDT 2002

Mike,

Well, first of all, if you had trouble installing Debian, I highly
recommend avoiding the FreeBSD install for a while.  It really is for
advanced users.  As for the network card, what is the chipset of the
card?  Your exact card make and model might not be in the list, but the
chipset might be covered under a much more generic driver, especially if
it's a highly common chipset.  The 3Com 90x chipset is very common, but
not having installed FreeBSD in a while, I'm not sure what to tell you
to look for in the driver list.  Under linux, a 3c90x driver would do
it, but that's under Linux.  I'm not sure what the maturity level of
FreeBSD's hardware detection tools might be.  As I said, it's been a
while, but if you put aside your frustrations and just ask for some
friendly assistance, I'm sure that most folks who have experience with
FreeBSD would be more than happy to give you some help.  Just be
patient.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer