[TriLUG] Software for Linux newbies

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sun May 26 23:53:28 EDT 2002

Robert,

While I'm sure that many newbies would appreciate such a guide, I would
like to make a point which you can take or leave.  My point is basicall
this:  The majority of us got into Linux because we wanted an
alternative.  We wanted to do something besides Windows, and also find
alternatives to the Windows based software which was costing us
thousands that we simply didn't have.  However, upon installing Linux,
we found dozens of alternatives in all shapes and sizes for each task
that we wanted.  Browsers:  Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror.  Mail:
Pine, Mutt, Kmail, Evolution, Balsa.  News readers:  Pan, tin,
Netscape.  Office software:  Star Office, AbiWord, Gnumeric, Applixware.

Microsoft didn't win their current status simply by making deals with
the computer manufacturers to put their OS on everybody's machine.  They
also did it by making the prettiest (at the time) OS, and by telling
everyone that this is what you should be using.  Personally, I'd like to
avoid that scenario in this world.  I don't use either KDE or Gnome by
choice.  Personally, I don't care for either of them.  I'm addicted to
my Afterstep desktop, which I'm sure makes me somewhat of a dinosaur,
but it's what I like.  I've tried the others, and I didn't like them.
But that may have as much to do with the fact that Afterstep is what RH
5.2 installed by default on the first Linux box I installed as it does
with anything else.

Making an excrutiatingly long point somewhat less long, I'll just say
that telling folks what they can use is infinitely preferable to telling
folks what they should use.  Recommending KDE, Kmail, Pan, Star Office,
xmms, etc is fine.  Tell the newbies why you think that they should use
those.  But don't sell them short.  Also tell folks about some of their
alternatives, and recommend that they explore those.  Let them know that
the Linux community has thousands of options, and that they are free to
explore each and every one of them, almost entirely for free.

I'll make it even clearer:  Telling a newbie to use Emacs when vi is
clearly a better editor FOR THEIR PERSONAL TASTE, or vice versa, does
that newbie a severe disservice.

Now I'm going to wrap myself in the American flag and hum "God Bless
America" until you all stop applauding.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer