[TriLUG] ethical hacking?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon May 27 01:57:03 EDT 2002

I've been reading about system security (one of my most favorite subjects
here  on trilug) and I'm wondering if there should be some kind of ethical
hacking group established.  The reason for this is some of us think we have a
more or less secure system attached to TWC or DSL and it would be nice to
know if there are any holes in our systems that allow access.

I think it would be a good idea to come up with a common filename, such as
trilug.readme (or whatever) containing a unique text string.  If someone on
trilug hacks our system and e-mails back the text string we know we have a
security hole - and the person that finds the hole MUST say how they were
able to compromise the security of the system (so we can fix it).

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Greg