[TriLUG] Linux on Compaq Alpha

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon May 27 07:12:58 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 22:34, Roberto J Dohnert wrote:
> Hey guys I was wondering what would be a good version of Linux for the
> Compaq Alpha i just aquired one at a Computer Auction last friday.  I
> was going to try Red Hats Distro for Alpha but others have told me its
> not really stable does anyone have any experience with the Alpha
> platform..

Red Hat 6.2 for Alpha is extremely stable, and has been running
Trilug.org for almost two years. (Yes Ed, it's been that long!)

While I've not had Ed's difficulties with the gcc on RHL 7.1, I can say
that 7.1 is talored for EV5 processors and higher - so, depending on
what CPU is in your alpha, it may (or may not) run efficently.

I've been using Red Hat 6.2 and/or Debian Stable on my alpha, Since it's
a CD-less EV4 (noname/Multia) - "and/or" because I change my mind every
time I decide to re-install the box for a new temporary task. Right now
I'm afraid it may have finally died a horrid heat-death of old-age.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim