[TriLUG] Software for Linux newbies

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue May 28 17:42:36 EDT 2002

"One of the great things about Linux is the matter of choice. However, for a
newbie, especially one from a MS environment, the variety can be somewhat
bewildering"---Amen, brother!!--Everyone say "Amen brother together".

Don't worry about giving a plethora of OTHER programs to newbies. Just give
them what works the easiest and merely tell them (something which is obvious
to anyone who's ever used computers) that there are many other programs
which do the same thing that they might want to try LATER --AFTER they've
learned how to find them online, download them, and install them properly.
In due time the programs they begin with will not satisfy them for some
reason or another and they'll try others.

Otherwise we're just putting the cart before the horse.---This from a Newbie
who can't escape from the Newbie Linux trap, because well-wishers always
want to throw everything to me but the kitchen sink and unfortunately all at
the same time.---Al Johnson.

FIRST TEACH SOMEONE TO CRAWL, THEN WALK, THEN FINALLY HOW TO RUN WITH THE
BIG DOGS. (not yelling, just underlining!!), although it wouldn't mean
anything if I was using a very old computer which didn't have lower case
letters!!