[TriLUG] Moving IDE hard drive from one machine to another

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Wed May 29 22:19:25 EDT 2002

I would expect it to work adequately, but not perfectly. In particular I'd
be surprised if SMP worked out of the box on the dual-processor
machine. But I've moved IDE drives between hardware before (they booted
debian. not RH) with general success. I think the order would have to be:

- Move drive
- Boot provisionally
- Rebuild kernel as necessary (e.g., for SMP)
- Edit modules information as necessary to match new hardware
- reboot

Cheers,
Andy Perrin

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu