[TriLUG] Business Venture

Roberto J Dohnert webwarrior at mac.com
Thu May 30 11:53:59 EDT 2002

Hey guys,

Just thought Id tell you what has happened to me this week.  I decided
to enter a business venture with a friend of mine the goal of this
business is to manufacture Linux Ready PCs.  Linux Preinstalled and all
hardware being used is supported by the Linux kernel or drivers are
available for the hardware devices.  So I figured I would call Red Hat
to see what i had to do to purchase extra support options for my
customers and to find out what i had to to do to get my Computers Red
Hat Certified.  Well after 3 days I finally got my call from Red Hat.
Their Rep told me that they would not certify my hardware unless I
planned to sell to businesses and he told me that he would appreciate it
if I would not preinstall Red Hat Linux or any red Hat Software on my
machines because they were not targeting the home users, they were
targeting enterprise.  So basically Red Hat told me to go get screwed
which is fine F-them too.  My main question is does anyone know of any
Linux vendors who are targeting the home user.  If I was doing PowerPC
computers terrasoft solutions who manufacture Yellowdog Linux has told
me that they would support me 100%.  So i will either start producing
PowerPCs and x86 machines side by side.  But if any of you has any ideas
or thoughts in this matter, any feedback is appreciated.