[TriLUG] Wireless net equipment

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Thu May 30 12:22:47 EDT 2002

This past weekend I bought the SMC wireless+wired gateway+firewall
that's on sale at CompUSA this week. It has worked very well so far,
including the port forwarding so I can access my home machine from work
(using dyndns). For $99 (after $40 rebate) I got wireless, 3x 10/100
ports, and shut down my noise firewall computer. I'm pleased so far with
all the features I've used. And $99 seems fairly low, unless I'm just
looking in the wrong places.

Caveat: there are anecdotal reports of this router being flaky anywhere
from a day to several months after it is put into service. So far, so
good, for me, however. There are two model numbers, and the one at
CompUSA is the newer, potentially-flaky version.

It's not listed in salescircular.com this week, btw. I actually found it
by reading the newspaper itself. :^)

Link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=284009

They had plenty of them on Sunday in the Glenwood CompUSA. Could be sold
out by now, as they are online, I suppose.

YMMV.

matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\