[TriLUG] RE: Wireless net equipment

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu May 30 12:43:15 EDT 2002

I prefer the Agere/Lucent Orinoco AP-500 access point myself.  I have a
nearly identical setup as the one you described only I have a 10/100 switch
which my server connects to (along with the access point and one other
machine).  The AP-500 is a single card device that has SNMP support and WEP.
I use Orinoco Silver cards in my laptops with WEP turned on.  Of all the
wireless gear I've ever used the Orinoco stuff seems to have the best
managment interface.  In fact, you don't need to configure it at all if you
don't want to change your default SNMP string or use WEP - just plug in your
AP to a bridge/switch/router (or use it as the primary bridge, but I don't
suggest that really) and slap the Orinoco cards into the laptops and you can
hit the ground running with no configuration (though the Linux box will
require some configuration to get it going).

Anyway, all Orinoco access points are fairly easy to work with but it sounds
like the AP-500 might do the trick if you want to add 802.11b to an existing
network.

Greg