[TriLUG] Net monitoring

Joe Meador linux at alien.biochem.wfubmc.edu
Thu May 30 17:03:32 EDT 2002

Hi Chris,

   I've been using Big Brother for about 8 months or so now.
   http://www.bb4.com  - I believe it is similiar to netsaint.  I like the
   web interface and how it will email me promptly if anything fails.  I
   setup a .htaccess file to prevent others from looking at my computers on
   the web interface.  The things I don't like about Big Brother are the log
   file entries (every once in a while I manually grep out all the big
   brother entries from them) and the Windows client.  Big Brother basically
   telnets every 15 minutes to any port you want it to check, thus the log
   files become large rather quickly.Also the Windows version sends me emails
   too often for things like CPU usage, messages, etc.  It can be tweaked
   however.  Hope this helps!
   Joe Meador