[TriLUG] Graphical Login Help

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Fri May 31 11:30:01 EDT 2002

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 10:42, Paul D. Boyle wrote:
> >
> > That's what it is.  SuSE uses the same run level designators
> > as Redhat.
> >
> > Is there some file buried somewhere in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/lib
> > or /etc/X11/ hierarchies at which I should be looking?
> >
> > Some more detail:  I had placed /opt on a seperate file system
[snip]

> Do you have kde on the /opt disk?  I know this is the "recommended"
> place to put it, but redhat and mandrake put it in /usr.  I don't
> know what SuSE does.  If so, then it would make sense that
> it wouldn't work because it couldn't get to KDM.

Yes, it is on the /opt disk.

> Mandrake (and I assume redhat, perhaps) has a little script in
> /etc/X11 called prefdm that chooses which display manager you
> use.  You might check there.  It's possible that if it couldn't
> find KDM it rewrote some configuration file.  Are GDM or XDM
> also installed on this machine?

Yes. for a little while XDM was running as the login.  When I
tried to get KDM running again, then that's when it dropped to text mode
login (despite thinking it was at level 5)

> Hmm... it appears that on Mandrake, the choice of which display
> manager is controlled by the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file.  YMMV
> on SuSE, though.

The distributions differ quite a bit at this level.

> I would also look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log just after you boot
> up.  If X is giving any error messages they will be there.

The funny thing is that before I rebooted I deleted all the XFree86.*.log
files. When I rebooted, there was no XFree86.1.log file created. When
I started X via 'startx', it did create a log file.  This suggests to
me that X isn't even starting on boot up.

Scratching my Head,

Paul
Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html