[TriLUG] MailScanner -was- SpamAssassin is wonderful...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 3 00:54:22 EDT 2002

On Sunday 02 June 2002 10:11 pm, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:
> > If it is only using the signatures, then how do I substitute
> > McAfee/Network Associates for Sophos.  I already have a site licence
> > for use of McAfee - so downloading and using those signatures is NBD.
>
> Why, RTFM of course! In the install docs, I found this :
>    MailScanner Installation Guide - McAfee
>
>                              MailScanner - McAfee

True... true... unfortunately, the FM is only available if you download the
tarball and untar it (or if you install the RPM).  I was hoping to find my
answer *before* that point so I could decide whether I wanted to actually
download it and begin playing with it!

The HTML site FM is purely Sophos oriented...

BTW: Apparently you do need the Virus scanner, as it uses the included
engine to check out the MIME attachments.  So technically, you need to buy
Sophos ($120 for a single user licence...) - or of course you could use
some other engine like McAfee's... or maybe even Clam, the opensource virus
scanner.

Fortunately the mailing list seems to be split between Sophos users and
McAfee users.  The folks there are very helpful.

Jon