[TriLUG] PartitionMagic vs. FIPS

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Jun 3 16:16:02 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 15:18, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> I've never laid my hands on a WinXP thing, so I cannot tell.
>
> DiskDrake, AFAIK, is based on GNU-parted and/or FIPS.

Ah. No longer pfdisk (the perl fdisk)? Well, that's good news to me.

> Are you sure that it can cut trough NTFS???? I'll be truly amazed.

NTFS is a tricky beast. The biggest difficulty lately for NTFS tools is
that it appears XP's NTFS is *EVER SO SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT* than the win2K
NTFS. Which means when I went to add Linux to my laptop, I needed the
*NEWEST* partitioning program available (I used Paragon Partition
Manager - every bit as good as Powerquest Partition Magic, but at $39.95
and download-able) in order to properly handle the "upgraded" version of
NTFS.

And that typically means that if you use something that's used to an
NT4/Win2K NTFS and this was a brand-new XP install, you risk eating your
drive. Which I didn't want to do (was told not to do by my sysadmin), so
I shelled out a couple of $$ for a well supported commercial program.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9
"It's not stupid...it's ADVANCED"