[TriLUG] Newbie Mtg Plans - Part 2

Mike Helms Mike.Helms at martinmarietta.com
Tue Jun 4 16:35:07 EDT 2002

First off, thanks to everyone for the interesting discussion about newbie
get togethers.  Assuming nothing strange comes up in the interm, I'll come
out on the 15th, complete with my once-XP, and now Win2000, and hopefully
soon-to-be-some-flavour-of-Linux laptop.

I guess what I'm most interested in right now is learning how to install
Debian.  I have so far attempted six installs, and the closest I can get to
some form of success is an absolutely base system install - no X, no
nothing, just a plane jane command line.  While I enjoy having the ability
to ping machines on my network and play with the various nuances of the
shutdown command, this really isn't useful to me, and I have a feeling it'll
take some advice from those who have done this before to get it working.

(as a sidenote: I'm not as concerned about X as I am about getting Apache,
PHP, MySQL and some basic firewall running on this box ... so maybe I'm
closer than I think)

Cheers,

Michael Helms
Applications Support Analyst