[TriLUG] Bought my first Laptop--a new Apple Powerbook with OSX--With Linux software in mind I have three questions:

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 4 17:51:37 EDT 2002

Another great response to my three questions.
>I doubt you would buy a Mac to run something you could run on cheap
> PC hardware.  That said, I tend to run NetBSD on old Mac hardware.  Not
> really for the newbie, though

The main reason I decided to go with a mac laptop was that if I were to get
the features I wanted (esp. an S-video connector on the back of the
laptop---so I can easily surf the web on my 36" Sony Wega) , virtually all
of the laptops were about the same price ($2000+). Second, if you get a Mac
you can run virtually any OS you desire: Mac, Windows (there is an excellent
emulator), Linux, and finally BSD (which you already have), etc. Finally, I
enjoy doing a lot of sound and graphics work, and as you know the Mac excels
in these areas as well. I may curse it a year from now, but I haven't seen
anything yet that I disliked. But then I really haven't had it longer than a
few days.---Al Johnson