[TriLUG] Re: sendmail and alternate ports

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Thu Jun 6 07:07:58 EDT 2002

* On 2002-06-06 at 05:53,
  Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar at golux.com> excited the electrons to say:

> Regardless..  Normally, when sendmail speaks to another system
> it will use port 25.  Does anyone know if there's a way to tell
> it "when you connect to mail.foo.com, use port 4000 instead of 25;
> go ahead and keep using 25 for all other systems"?

As an alternative solution, I can shut down my laptop's sendmail
and tunnel port 25 from my external mail server through ssh.
Unfortunately, mutt uses /sbin/sendmail to post outbound messages,
so they end up in the queue of my local (non-running) sendmail
daemon anyway.  (/sbin/sendmail tries to send immediately [which
fails], and then queues it up for retrying.)

{sigh} This sucks..
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"