[TriLUG] Learning Styles?

James LewisMoss dres at lewismoss.net
Thu Jun 6 20:02:19 EDT 2002

>>>>> On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:45:05 -0400, "Lisa C. Boyd" <lcboyd at nc.rr.com> said:

 Lisa> Reading Jim's email again and a few that I've gotten off list
 Lisa> it's occurred to me that we don't necessarily have to setup
 Lisa> physical classrooms. There is a lot we can do with online
 Lisa> learning *if* that's a style that people here can learn well
 Lisa> from. Some people learn better from being in a classroom
 Lisa> environment. Some can learn from a well-laid out web
 Lisa> site. These are just some things we can discuss. It's good to
 Lisa> know what people would like to see though. There are many
 Lisa> possibilities so let us know what you'd like to see!

 Lisa> Do you know what your learning style is? Do you learn better by
 Lisa> being in a classroom? Do you learn better from reading books or
 Lisa> handouts? Do you learn from researching online?

I've read in several different places you can split learning styles
into three types (with combined types of course).  This is more than
likely over-simplification, but it's a useful way to think of things:

Kinetic: learns by doing
Auditory: learns by hearing
Visual: learns by seeing (and by this it's not seeing words written
that'd be auditory, but by seeing charts/graphs/etc)

And typically most people learn best by a combination of all three.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres at lewismoss.org>   |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.lewismoss.org/~dres     |  Linux is kewl!