(rr mailserver redux) Re: [TriLUG] Newbie meeting - Saturday

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Wed Jun 12 15:59:56 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 15:25, Robby Dermody wrote:
> About rr's mailservers...

We stopped using them.

> Hmm, I thought they had just blocked me from relaying through
> smtp-server.nc.rr.com for some reason :)

They did.  Just not intentionally.

Our packetloss to our local gateway continues to be a pain.  Today it is
averaging 66% packetloss to the local gateway.  We finally escalated the
problem within RR management via the customer service folks and
hopefully they'll get something fixed there.  That particular problem
seems to have been identified some time ago as low signal levels
throughout my neighborhood.  But the guys in the trucks seem to be more
TV-competent than network-competent and think if the TV reception is
alright they aren't going to go to the trouble of fixing the problem.

The network folks I've talked to at RR seem pretty clueful, and they are
also at the mercy of the field guys.  Unfortunately it looks like it
will need some sort of higher intervention to fix that problem.

I have debated over whether or not to run OpenNMS against my local
gateway, the smtp server, dns, etc. to be able to provide RR with
availability reports down to three decimal places but one problem at a
time. ;-)

> I just set up my own internal mail relay so I don't have to deal with it
> anymore. Their service is otherwise quite good, but I'm glad I don't use
> their servers for inbound mail...

Yeah that's my approach.  I'm mostly worried about connectivity.  I can
handle my own email & DNS if you give me good connectivity.  I'm
somewhat interested in providing numbers on email/dns availability to RR
but I would be worried that this might be viewed in a hostile way by
some clueless PHB as an attack or something.