[TriLUG] Saturday What to bring, and recreational information

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Thu Jun 13 21:04:08 EDT 2002

Okay, I've no idea how many peeps are showing up saturday (a virtual
headcount would be appreciated )

I failed to inform the bosslady that Saturday was pot-luck, so she made
other plans.  (She's much nicer than I am ;-) )  Hence probably more
food will be provided than there will be people (I'm estimating 10-15
people or Lisa and her kids will have to eat a lot).

Approximate inventory of provided food:
1. 2lb coleslaw (if ya don' like cole slaw then sumtin's wrong wichu)
2. Some amount of bar-b-que (as in shreaded meat on bun)
3. some amount of dead boneless bird (I dun like lots of fat and I hate
choking on the bone....know it ain' right, but *shrug*)
4. some amount of dead bird thighs (I like wings but I don't like fatty
wings)
5. 1 big jug of OJ minus the 12oz I drank today
6. 1 bottle of Rottlan Torra '96 (shut up - red wine rules)
7. I'm willing to share A FEW bottles of the beer I got for my
birthday...but not many...look at my homepage for a description.
(thanks mom)
8. Extremely soft, purified, water - wife works for a water purification
company.
9. Bar-B-Que grill
10. Hotter bar-b-que sauce (if the word Hot is a problem for you, bring
your own or I shall be happy to baste it in Ketchup)
11. Pick A pepper sauce.
12. Some fruit concoction (that I hate) called Morning blend

There is probably food for 10-15 carnivores (who like cole slaw so I
guess that makes them slightly omnivorous, but hell dogs eat grass).

What is needed:
1. Soda pop - I don't usually partake - so we don't keep it around
2. Any vegetarian considerations
3. Any dairy products (please take them with you I never touch them
myself)
4. Any white wine or beer should you wish to partake of that kind of
thing or anything else you wish to imbibe.
5. Cups and disposable flatware.

Description of Territory:
1. We've got like 3/4 of an acre, and much of that is the back yard, its
on a big incline, lots of running around space, with fencing to keep
whomever in.
2. If it rains or gets unbearibly hot (provided we're done eating) we
can go inside.  We'll just have to sit on the floor or get real friendly
like.
3. Limited low-bandwidth (outside) wireless internet access.
4. A sand box with hardly any sand in it (working on that) and I think
some sand toys and the such.
5. Nosy neighbors who bring my garbage half way up the driveway if I
leave it out till the weekend (comes on thursday)

What I hope to accomplish:

1. Eat
2. Drink
3. ****
4. chat
5. Identify our objectives for the I guess "newbie committee"
6. Elect Lisa "Newbie Committee Chairperson"
7. Identify programs to bring people up to speed on basic Linux "Stuff"
   Thoughts include:
   a. Selection of a distribution including criteria
   b. Installation
   c. Basic file management (just what does df stand for)
   d. Basic networking and installation
   c. Webservin
   e. Advocacy - How do we induct people into the cult of the penguin?
   f. maybe "new school" technologies (don't often touch the stuff
myself) like flowe desktop stuff, gui file managers, etc.
8. Plan the next meetin'
9. Extra points if you get my wife wantin' to use Linux.

Any thoughts?

Are ya comin?

Muchos Gracias,

Andy