[TriLUG] Saturday What to bring, and recreational information

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Fri Jun 14 08:11:09 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 21:04, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> There is probably food for 10-15 carnivores (who like cole slaw so I
> guess that makes them slightly omnivorous, but hell dogs eat grass).

OK I have adjusted my travel plans.  Will be home tonight instead of
tomorrow night.  Will see you tomorrow.  ;-)

> What is needed:
> 1. Soda pop - I don't usually partake - so we don't keep it around

Got that covered.

> 6. Elect Lisa "Newbie Committee Chairperson"

I second the motion.

> 7. Identify programs to bring people up to speed on basic Linux "Stuff"
>    Thoughts include:
>    a. Selection of a distribution including criteria

Oh man that could take all day.  It's like vi vs. emacs but with a lot
more choices.

>    b. Installation
>    c. Basic file management (just what does df stand for)
>    d. Basic networking and installation
>    c. Webservin
>    e. Advocacy - How do we induct people into the cult of the penguin?

There is an Advocacy HOWTO at the Linux Documentation Project.  Lots of
this stuff is covered therein.

>    f. maybe "new school" technologies (don't often touch the stuff
> myself) like flowe desktop stuff, gui file managers, etc.

I will try to remember to bring some extra Flowe CD's that were donated
to the LUG.

> 9. Extra points if you get my wife wantin' to use Linux.

Point me at a half decent PC I can blow away and reload.

-=\Thunder Bear/=-
+Upchuckee Nation+