[TriLUG] Bought my first Laptop--a new Apple Powerbook with OSX--With Linux software in mind I have three questions:

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Mon Jun 17 11:44:00 EDT 2002

On Sunday, June 16, 2002, at 03:02 PM, al johson wrote:

> Re: Windows programs--I probably should have said that the few Windoze
> programs I can't do without (e.g. Usenet programs) will probably work
> on the
> Macs, if I can't find an OSX substitute for them. I'm in no means in
> love

Not sure I've mentioned it before, but I've found VersionTracker
(http://www.versiontracker.com) to have an excellent index of software
for Macs (both OS X and OS < X).  They list not only shareware and
freeware but commercial updates and demos.  A search for USENET under
the MacOS X banner brings up 11 hits including tin and MT-NewsWatcher.
The latter I've been using since OS 8, been reasonably happy with, and
consequently haven't looked at any of the others.

The Omni Group (http://www.omnigroup.com) has some first-rate software
for OS X including OmniWeb and OmniGraffle.  The former is a good web
browser, although it does have some issues with certain pages (in
particular Wachovia's online banking) and lacks support for some little
used CSS tags (border: outset, for example).  OmniGraffle I'm checking
out now as a possible replacement for Visio.

Oh, VersionTracker also has Windows and Palm indexes.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org