[TriLUG] Voice Recognition Software?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jun 18 11:12:59 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 08:43, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> Is there anything on Linux for voice recognition? I've just set up
> DragonNaturally Speaking on my Windows machine, but want to move to Linux.
> I know it might not make sense for command line stuff but it would help in
> sending emails and dictating notes and such.
>
> Just point me in the right direction ...

IBM ViaVoice for Linux.

It works well on relatively newer CPUs (400+ Mhz -- this is one program
that *does* use a lot of cycles), theres two support mailing lists that
are well-staffed by IBM folks (the VV developers), and it works well
once you train it for your voice.

Note that it is picky about your sound card and driver.  You'll need a
combination that supports certain audio modes.  In some cases, you may
have to purchase a new sound card (but they are cheap).

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Emails:      ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu