[TriLUG] limiting bandwidth usage?

Chris MacLeod @ Home stick at miscellaneous.net
Wed Jun 19 15:41:43 EDT 2002

I think you can do rate throttling with iptables, not sure about ipchains.

I have this in my iptables script (excuse the variables)

$IPTABLES -A CHECK -i $EXT_IF -p tcp --dport $UNPRIV_PORTS ! --syn -m
limit --limit 10/s -j DROP

I also have this in there (but I'm not using it)

/sbin/tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root tbf rate $Kbit latency 15ms burst 1500

but I'm not too sure about that one (it's functionality in my script that
I'm not currently using)

Stick