[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware? (LONGDIATRIBE)

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Wed Jun 19 22:56:15 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 22:35, John Turner wrote:

> I am not even sure what the h**l Chris was trying to say here.

<vice chair hat firmly off>

For the two or three people that didn't understand that was a JOKE, it
was supposed to be in the same spirit as the vi vs. emacs, or gnome vs.
kde good humored jesting.  No I wasn't calling the Cubix a pile of
chicken fecal matter.  No I wasn't suggesting that anyone actually eat
chicken fecal matter (well, maybe the Detroit Redwings...).  Just
throwing darts at x86 which doesn't carry any weight since I have over
40 x86 boxes in my house.

> But I for one would welcome you bringing the Cubix. I think anything
> that is not a standard PC.

I was only trying to resist making it a full blown installfest.  I was
thinking more along the lines of half a dozen guys with some really
whacked out weird installs having fun doing something that they might
not be able to stand around and pay attention to were it at a regular
installfest.  I probably shouldn't have even used the word
"installfest".  The original discussion hinted at maybe doing it in my
living room if it were only a couple of other people.

Yes, I do want to do another full blown installfest where all machines
are welcome.  I'm trying to organize a much different (and much
smaller)  (non-)event.

> Anyone got a cash register that needs Linux installed?

Home Depot.

Oops, Linux is already there. :-)

> I have a Dec AlphaServer 1000A that I am trying to sell (guess if I get
> Linux installed it might sell quicker).
>
> I also have a HP712/60 that I am willing to donate as a door prize.
>
> I also have a Sun Ultra 1 that I would like to get working (it seems to
> have a power problem, just stops some times).

Groovy.  Bring 'em on.  :-)