[TriLUG] Sun's new "Big Bear" Cobalt LX50

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jun 20 08:40:31 EDT 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> Here's an article on Sun's new Linux server, "Big Bear"
>
> http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=701379

Interesting article.  I see that Sun is releasing their own Linux
distribution.  Makes me wonder if it's really good that we have so many
competing, different distributions.  Isn't the myriad number of
distributions a stumbling block compared to Microsoft, which offers a
couple of versions but generally the same software for everyone?  If you
need to install a new program on Windows... there's no mystery how to do
it.  But for Linux, installing new programs involves different methods
based on distribution (ie, apt/dpkg, up2date/rpm, etc.) -- and people who
learn one method must relearn when they switch distros.  I wonder what the
Linux community can do to solve this?

--Jeremy