[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware? (LONGDIATRIBE)

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 20 12:36:12 EDT 2002

Hello

I'll trade you a sparc for it?  I really want to get a powerpc toy.

JD

"William W. Ward" <wwward at pobox.com>@trilug.org on 06/20/2002 12:33:02 PM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org

Sent by:    trilug-admin at trilug.org

To:    <trilug at trilug.org>
cc:
Subject:    Re: [TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware?
       (LONGDIATRIBE)

No jokes about my client here, I'm at work, and when in Rome...

Would an Apple PowerMac 7100 qualify as "different" enough for a non-x86
install (non)event?  I've been blessed with this somewhat heavy, but not
terribly large computer, but light on RAM at 32MB.  I've thrown in an extra
2GB disk (1GB included with the unit,) and would love to see it run
something other than MacOS 9.  Not that I have anything against MacOS 9 in
particular, but I don't use it very much since I have two very capable
Wintel boxes I use for most of that sort of window stuff anyway.

Otherwise, what are the most physically large computers that some variant
of
Linux has been adapted to that you've bought on E-bay, scrounged from
salvage or been gifted as part of a corporate cleanout?  Any of them with
the requisite blinky lights in quantity?

I'd love to hear about the most esoteric hardware you can get, as most of
the computers I've had the privilege of dealing with aren't all that
dramatic.

Also - anyone succeeded in getting a Compaq iPaq equipped with Linux?  Any
way to do it using a bootstrap instead of flashing out the firmware?

-b-