[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware? (LONGDIATRIBE)

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Thu Jun 20 12:42:12 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 12:33, William W. Ward wrote:

> Would an Apple PowerMac 7100 qualify as "different" enough for a non-x86
> install (non)event?

Absolutely!  I have some of these too.

That box sounds like a challenge, BTW.  I don't know if there are any
distros that claim to work on it or not.

> Otherwise, what are the most physically large computers that some variant of
> Linux has been adapted to that you've bought on E-bay, scrounged from
> salvage or been gifted as part of a corporate cleanout?  Any of them with
> the requisite blinky lights in quantity?

Hmmm I don't have any VAXen yet.  Though I have this dorm fridge that
isn't earning its keep and would make a heck of a chassis for an
overclocked dual processor machine with lots of 15KRPM drives (better
cooling through freon)