[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware? (LONGDIATRIBE)

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 20 12:57:16 EDT 2002

William W. Ward wrote:
> No jokes about my client here, I'm at work, and when in Rome...
>
> Would an Apple PowerMac 7100 qualify as "different" enough for a non-x86
> install (non)event?  I've been blessed with this somewhat heavy, but not
> terribly large computer, but light on RAM at 32MB.  I've thrown in an extra
> 2GB disk (1GB included with the unit,) and would love to see it run
> something other than MacOS 9.  Not that I have anything against MacOS 9 in
> particular, but I don't use it very much since I have two very capable
> Wintel boxes I use for most of that sort of window stuff anyway.

I had a really rough time getting linux installed on a
powermac clone with 80M ram.  The problem was the X installer
took up too much memory.  Try the text installer --I used
mandrake, but I'd like to try gentoo.  There is also
a newer mandrake out.

I'm like to come to the oddball meeting, but My weekends are
pretty booked:  let's see - tampa, tampa, hatteras, lakegaston,
smithfield( motocycle safety course), free weekend ( temporary i'm sure --
my wife must have missed it), and then alantic beach.  After
that the kids go back to school, and things return to normal (
and I get a rest).