[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware?

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Thu Jun 20 14:03:52 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:03:22PM -0400, John Franklin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:52:06AM -0700, Kim Green wrote:
> > There were 3 distros of Linux listed to work on Mac x86 machines when I
> > looked a while ago.  There are also several flavors of BSD listed to work
> > on them.  PPC have more options.
> >
> > (have several Mac x86, one Mac PPC, 2 486's for franken-network)
>
> Mac x86? .... *x86*?  What a funky Mac!  That *would* qualify as odd!  :)

Based on the URLs, I'm pretty sure she meant Mac 68k.  But you're right
that a x86 Mac would be quite the oddball.  I remember playing with an
emulator[1] a long time ago that purported to run Mac software on the
x86.  It was pretty much in its infancy then, and I couldn't get it to
do more than boot the finder.  But that was cool to see on my x86.

Mike

[1] http://www.ardi.com/executor.php

--
Mike Broome