[TriLUG] StarOffice and UPG strangeness

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 20 16:16:36 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janyne Kizer"

> I am using RH 7.2 and SO 5.2.   We have a shared directory set up for
> people to use

(http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-users-
groups-private-groups.html).
> When someone saves a SO file into there home directory, edits that file
> and then saves it to the shared directory, the permissions are the same
> as on the file in their home directory.  All other programs seem to work
> fine (Gimp, Nedit, pico, vi, etc.) but StarOffice insist on keeping the
> group the User Private Group.  ARG!  Any suggestions?
> --

Are you using Samba to move and store the files?  Samba has some nice
options for forcing the user/group permissions to the proper settings.  If
SO is by-passing that... then you can use a cron job to monitor and fix the
writes.  I run three cron jobs every 5 minutes that check on various folders
and files to insure that they are maintained properly.

Here is an example of one,

cat maintain_vol_rights
  #!/bin/bash
  #
  # This script insures that the rights to various special volumes stay
correct
  #   and are maintained recursively in the subdirectories.
  #
  # Insure that the rights to volume MIS stay correct
  chmod -R 0770 /vol/mis/Admin/*
  chgrp -R mis  /vol/mis/Admin/*
  #
  # Insure that the rights to volume /vol/docs/docsrc stay correct
  chmod -R 0770 /vol/docs/docsrc
  chgrp -R docsrc /vol/docs/docsrc
  #
  # Maintain the rights to volume /vol/product_mgt/Pegasus
  #chmod -R 0770 /vol/product_mgt/Pegasus
  #chgrp -R pegasus /vol/product_mgt/Pegasus
  #
  # Maintain the rights to volume /vol/product_mgt/Orion
  chmod -R 0770 /vol/product_mgt/Orion
  chgrp -R orion /vol/product_mgt/Orion

We allow access to files via Samba/NFS/FTP/HTTP on our main server and if
the users are not careful (and they never are) they can easily muck up the
rights to files that they are moving around.  The above script watches over
the group rights for various special purpose directories and subdirectories.

I've seen other folks use the /etc/fstab table to mount a filesystem with
special options enforcing the rights to the files and directories on that
filesystem.

Good Luck