[TriLUG] Slightly OT: VNC and Linux

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 21 10:35:59 EDT 2002

Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> Is there a way to use a product like VNC to open an "EXISTING" session?
> e.g. I move between buildings and I'd like to VNC to my machine using my
> existing KDE environment instead of a TWM session.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Here is a program that you can run to access the
local X server.  If you log in, start up
x0rfb server, then vnc to it from another computer
then it will echo what is displayed on the local
:0 display.

   http://www.hexonet.de/software/x0rfbserver/

Rumor has it that it is on the new mandrakes.  It is not
easy to build from source ( it depends on 'xclass', which
doesn't compile with later gccs -- you need to fix
the source code).

I use x0rfb and x2vnc (like x2x) on one of my internal computers.

If you just want to run kde on VNC then you can edit the
startup script ( ~/.vnc/xstartup ).  Replace twm with
startkde ( there might be a different kickoff script
for newer kdes).

There was an interesting article in linux journal that
might be of interest.  Basically it kicks off
vnc in the background, and you can log into
to an existing vnc session.  It replaces the 'window
manager' with vncviewer.

This has an [a,disa]vantage that the session is
persistant -- If I log out tonight ( or 3am in the morning),
the next morning, eveything is the same.

It seems screwy, I want to try it but time hasn't allowed
me.